CREATIVE THERAPY FOR STREETKIDS
The project owner
Marieke Janna de Lange
- Township Alexandra
- South Africa
Give vulnerable youngsters in this South African township in Johannesburg the chance to express themselves in a safe environment. Bring hope and awareness to the plight of these children.
Children of Alexandra township live in one of Africa's overcrowded townships. Up until a couple of years ago, Alexandra was known as a lawless gangster valley. Things have improved in Alexandra but this township is still rife with crime and poverty and suffers from the former stigma of being lawless, which means opportunities do not come around often. With this project we want to show the world the strength and talents of these children but also the challenges in which they still live.
In this project we work with 30 children from ACCSC. ACCSC provides aid to the most vulnerable children of Alexandra. Ubuntu Street Theater will create a safe environment to work with these kids under the guidance of a skilled drama teacher/trauma expert. We will complete this project by creating a safe environment for the child to participate in theatre training, organizing transportation, making new theatre props and getting a drama teacher to Alexandra Township
- The Stars of Alexandra consist out of 30 children from Alexandra. All these children are in the program of ACCSC. This organization provides food, counseling and day care for the most vulnerable children of Alexandra. These children come often from poor households, are orphan or their parents left them, or couldn't provide care for them.
Why (Project owners drive)
During my stay in Johannesburg in 2011 I got moved by the work of Ubuntu, I decided to move my world to move their world. I strongly believe in the power of expression and know we can make a change in the circle of crime and poverty in township Alexandra.
Relation between the project partner (excecution) and the project owner (fundraising)
Project leader together with Annemiek Funneman of Ubuntu's first project in Alexandra.
- Ubuntu Theatre Organisation
- Ubuntu Theatre OrganisationMission Ubuntu strives for a world in which any child feels welcome and can develop into a strong individual. We want to improve the perspective of street children in co-operation with our project partners in developing co
- Provide Training: - The Stars of Alexandra patricians receive every week 3 times theatrical training from the local teachers. In this project we want to equip the local teachers with additional training and inspiration for their lessons. Also attention goes to the managing part, organizing the Stars of Alex, communication with Ubuntu, local partners, project leaders and the children. Duration of this phase is two months. Drama Teacher. -housing €500 - transport €300 - location €200 - stationary €200 - Ticket €700 - Catering €100
- 2 months
Train / installment
- Theatre Lessons: The project is almost 1,5 years without Ubuntu, so the group need some creative impulse, we will refresh the decor / costumes / props (500) Also we analyze how the group is working together, maybe recruit some additional group members, recruit and install a new project coordinator (500) Fixing the storage room (300) reorganize the social media area (200)
- 5 months