EDUCATION FOR DEAF CHILDREN
The project owner
- M'bour, Thies
Supplying the 2nd school for deaf children in Senegal with equipment and teaching material, allowing 105 deaf children to learn West African Sign Language and get their full primary education. Lessons are based on the Senegalese curriculum and will be spread over 6 years.
Deaf children around Warang, Senegal, need education. Education is the key to development. Deaf children deserve the same chances as hearing children; to have the prospect of an independent and bright future. In Senegalese society, deaf children are not accepted into schools. Their life is limited to the most basic activities; they never leave their houses. Education and sign language allows the child to develop, to blossom and have a chance to become part of society.
The school will be part of the existing and successful 'Les Cajoutiers' primary school for (over 500) underprivileged children. Plan is to a) expand existing school with classrooms for deaf children b) train teachers and c) buy equipment and school supplies. The money raised via Get It Done will fund 'c'.
- In total 105 children will benefit directly. Secondary the families of the deaf children will also benefit from professional assistance (advice, sign language lessons) so they will be able to better understand their children and communicate with them.
Why (Project owners drive)
Education is the key to development. Deaf children deserve the same chances as hearing children; to have the prospect of an independent and bright future.
Relation between the project partner (excecution) and the project owner (fundraising)
I visited 'Les Cajoutiers' in January, 2013, together with my boyfriend and his family. They know Sophies family as they both live in Brussels. During this visit, she showed us the school and the plans to add a special deaf school. She already houses 5 de
- Association Les Cajoutiers
- The Cajoutiers is an association that gives Senegalese children a chance for a better future through education, a balanced diet and a medical and social aid. Thanks to our sponsors and sponsors we have been throughout the years, grow to the point that now
- Having the desks, benches and blackboards build by local craftsmen.
- Providing the teaching materials for the first two years of education.